How do I get the workers’ compensation process started?

Report your injury to your employer. Once you have reported your injury, your employer is required by law to give you a workers' compensation claim form within one working day. Fill it out, make a copy for your records, and return the completed form to your employer.

How long do I have to report my injuries and file my workers’ compensation claim?

You should do it right away. The sooner you report your injuries, the sooner you can start receiving workers’ compensation benefits. In most cases you must report your injury within 30 days or you give up your right to compensation. In cases of occupational illness or conditions that develop over time, you should report your problem as soon as you become aware of it.

What should I do if my employer does not want to file for workers’ compensation?

Some employers will offer to pay for your medical bills and maybe even some time off while you recover rather than file the insurance claim, especially for seemingly minor injuries. While this may seem like, and actually may be, an act of good faith, it can be a problem for you.

Your injury may be more serious than it appears, or it may have long-term repercussions. Medical bills may become more expensive than expected, you may need rehabilitation, and you may even wind up with a long-term or permanent disability.

Workers’ compensation benefits can cover the long-term expenses and lost wages that you may not be able to anticipate before your deadline for filing.

Do I get to choose my doctor?

In most cases you will have to see the doctor that your employer or the insurance company chooses, at least in the beginning. You can request to change doctors if you are unhappy with the doctor they choose.

What if my workers’ compensation claim is denied?

You have the right to a hearing. You will need to file an appeal. The deadline for filing will be on the denial form. This is often the time when injured workers decide they need to work with an attorney. If your workers’ compensation claim has been denied, the attorneys at White & Stradley can help you with your appeal.

How much and how often will I get paid?

If you are approved for wage replacement, you will typically receive about two-thirds of your normal paycheck. You will be paid weekly. These payments may be temporary or permanent.

If you still have questions about the North Carolina workers’ compensation process, please contact White and Stradley, PLLC today. We serve clients in Raleigh, Durham, Goldsboro, Greenville, Kinston, Lumberton, Fayetteville, Rocky Mount, and Tarboro, North Carolina..

Chris and David are good lawyers.  They are straight forward.  I really appreciate everything that they did for me.  I am thankful that I was referred to them and would highly recommend them to others.