North Carolina Workers’ Compensation law extends benefits to the family members of employees who die as a result of a work-related incident. Generally, spouses and dependent children are eligible to receive these Workers' Compensation death benefits.
Guidelines Governing Workers’ Compensation Death Benefits
The following stipulations and guidelines apply to the disbursement of Workers’ Compensation death benefits in North Carolina:
- Your loved one must have died within six years of the work-related accident or within two years after a determination of disability
- Occupational diseases resulting in the death of your loved one are generally eligible for Workers’ Compensation death benefits
- Benefit payments will total 2/3 of the employee’s average weekly wage
- Burial expenses of up to $3,500 will be covered
Dependents will be able to collect Workers’ Compensation death benefits for 400 weeks. However, there are two exceptions:
- A widow who is disabled at the time of the employee’s death may collect these benefits for the rest of his or her life or until remarriage
- Dependent children continue to receive benefits until the age of 18
White & Stradley, PLLC Can Help
The North Carolina Workers’ Compensation attorneys at White & Stradley, PLLC have been protecting the rights of injured workers since 1986. Our firm specializes in Workers’ Compensation cases, and we have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the laws that apply to these complex claims. We will personally walk you through every step of the process, making sure all paperwork is filed properly by the appropriate deadlines.
We understand the hardship you are facing due to the death of your loved one, and we can help you receive the benefits you deserve in your time of need. Often, insurance companies will look for any excuse to deny your claim. Our lawyers can provide you with strong legal representation so that your rights are protected against people who may try to take advantage of you.
Please contact our North Carolina Workers’ Compensation lawyers today to schedule your free initial Workers' Compensation consultation. White & Stradley, PLLC serves clients in Proudly serving Winston Salem, Charlotte, Durham, Asheville, Greensboro, and Wilmington, North Carolina..