On the job injuries can raise many fears about how you will pay your medical bills, what you will do for income while you recover and event he question of whether you will be able to work again. It can be a very frightening time for you and your family. However, if you take the right steps after a work accident, you can protect your rights and your ability to collect Workers’ Compensation benefits which can offset a great deal of your financial loss.
- Report the accident to your employer, and do it in writing, if possible.
- Get medical attention for your injuries whether they seem serious or not
- Fill out a Workers’ Compensation claim form and turn it in to your employer right away to get the ball rolling on your claim as soon as possible. Your employer is required to provide you with the form.
- Contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. Even though a workers’ compensation claim is not a lawsuit, you may need a lawyer’s help to get the compensation that you deserve. In some cases there may be more involved than just a workers’ compensation claim. Your attorney can help you figure this out.
- Get the name and contact information of any witnesses.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident and of your injuries.
It is important to take action as soon as you are able after any medical emergencies have been attended to. Your Workers’ Compensation benefits can help you and your family make it through the time that you are out of work. The longer you wait to file your claim, the longer it will be before you start receiving any compensation. The attorneys at White and Stradley can help you through the claims process. If you have been hurt on the job in North Carolina, please contact us today.